12 Drinks You Can Make with an Espresso Machine
Unlike a Nespresso machine that specializes in making espresso from capsules, espresso machines can typically make espressos, cappuccinos, and lattes.
They are also versatile makers of a wide range of delicious beverages.
How to Make a Cappuccino with an Espresso Machine?
Cappuccino is the straightforward combination of one-shot espresso in the bottom of the cup with a topping of hot milk foam.
To make a cappuccino with an espresso machine:
- Make your espresso shot.
- Foam your milk and pour the heavy foam on top of the espresso shot in your cup.
- May add a light dusting of powdered chocolate to finish on top of the milk foam.
How to Make a Chai Tea Latte?
Chai tea is a combination of black tea, warming spices, and milk. A chai tea latte takes that a step further by topping the chai tea with a layer of milk foam.
You can create the chai tea infusion with hot water and steep a mixture of black tea leaves and spices for five to ten minutes. A good mix is:
- 2 cups of near-boiling water,
- 1 tablespoon quality black tea leaves (Assam),
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon and black pepper, plus
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves, cardamom, and ginger.
You can add sugar to taste as brown, white, or syrup, vary the spices and proportions to taste, or start by roasting whole spices for improved flavor.
Strain the liquid to produce tea concentrate that you can keep in the fridge for up to a week.
You can make your chai tea latte with your espresso machine with these steps:
- Fill your portafilter basket with the tea leaves and spice mixture.
- As tea expands, experiment with ½ to 2/3 full and no tamping.
- Brew the chai tea mixture as you would for coffee.
- The chai tea should fill 75% of the cup; add sugar to taste as brown, white, or syrup.
- Top up the cup with a layer of hot milk foam.
How to Make a Dirty Chai?
Dirty chai is a mixture of tea and coffee.
You can make a dirty chai with an espresso machine by:
- Filling your cup just over halfway with the tea concentrate,
- Adding a shot of espresso, and
- Topping with hot milk foam.
How to Make a Flavored Latte?
Your standard latte is one to two espresso shots mixed with two shots of steamed milk and topped with a layer of milk foam.
You can make a flavored latte with your espresso machine by adding a flavor extract or syrup to your espresso shots and spice tea extract before mixing in the steamed milk.
How to Make a Mocha Latte?
Mocha is chocolate, so you make your mocha latte by adding the chocolate to the espresso shots from your espresso machine with:
- 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate powder, or
- 2 tablespoons grated dark chocolate, or
- Chocolate syrup.
Then mix with the steamed milk, top with a layer of foamed milk, and if you want to decorate it drizzle on some chocolate syrup.
How to Make an Iced Latte?
To make an iced latte with an espresso machine:
- Pour 2 shots of steamed milk and 2 espresso shots from the espresso machine into a sealed mason jar, and shake to combine.
- Fill a tall glass with crushed ice, pour over the latte mixture, and top with milk foam.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
This luxurious high-calorie treat requires a few unusual ingredients:
- Pumpkin puree – 2 tablespoons per serving.
- Pumpkin spices – premix or combine equal quantities of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Whipped cream for topping.
To make a pumpkin spice latte with your espresso machine, combine the puree and spices with a cup of milk and heat in a small pan. Stir well to blend it all together. Add 2 shots of espresso, mix and pour into a tall glass. Top with whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin spice.
How to Make a Flat White?
Pour a double espresso from the espresso machine into your cup and pour on 100ml of frothed milk. This amount of milk should spread over the coffee for the classic flat white.
How to Make an Americano?
For an americano with an espresso machine, you mix equal parts espresso with hot water. If you prefer your americano slightly less intense in flavor, double up on the water.
How to Make a London Fog?
Traditional London fog is a combination of Earl Grey tea with steamed milk. You can add a dash of vanilla essence if you like a sweet edge. You can brew the tea in the usual way or make it in your espresso machine the same way as you make a tea mixture for a chai latte.
You can use any black tea if Earl grey is not to your taste.
If you want a dirty London fog, chuck in a shot of espresso. The ratio is 1/3 tea to 2/3 steamed milk. You can add a layer of foam if that is how you prefer your latte style drinks.
How to Make a Caramel Macchiato?
To make a caramel macchiato with your espresso machine:
- Use 1 shot of espresso to 2 shots of foamed milk.
- Add vanilla syrup and caramel sauce.
- Put a splash of vanilla syrup in the bottom of your latte glass.
- Fill with the hot milk foam and pour over the hot espresso.
- Top up with milk foam, and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Top up with whipped cream (if you prefer).
How to Make Hot Chocolate?
The standard way of making hot chocolate is to add chocolate powder to steamed milk from the espresso machine. A more luxurious version involves dissolving block chocolate into the hot steamed milk.
Both are deliciously topped with whipped cream, marshmallows, and chocolate flakes.